Sunday, November 18, 2007

Rock Reconstruction


"Students at the science department sponsored dance Friday, February 27, enjoyed the music of the Rock Reconstruction."



I don't know what year that article was written for the San Marcos Daily Record, but it would have had to been in 1969 or 1970. I think if memory serves me correct, it was Craig Connally our bass player who came up with the name of "Rock Reconstruction." I also believe he simply found those words in the dictionary, put them together and that was it. We also toyed with the idea of naming the band "Toe Jam" but Rock Reconstruction won out.

We played a mix of the rock music that was popular of the day - Grand Funk Railroad, Iron Butterfly, Mountain, etc. One of my favorite songs to perform (and which funny enough, caused me the most anxiety) was "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly which had a long (very long) drum solo in the middle of it.

At some point in our very short career three members of the band (Craig, Barry and David) were asked to join a large choir ensemble that was a part of the First Baptist Church of San Marcos, called "Sound 70." Think "Up With People" except with lime green and yellow spandex. It was a strange hybrid of gospel and popular music. "Close To You" by the Carpenters was a big number. The outfit was led by Terry Stephens, a young charismatic fellow who made the whole experience a lot more fun that it could have been.

Terry wanted to have a rock band that would perform a few popular songs apart from the choir to add a little spice to the performance. Terry had established that band which featured members Paul Lyon, on trumpet; Howard Lyon, trombone; Vernon Hartman, drums; Billy Martin, trumpet; David Bynum, sax; Barry Bynum, guitar and Craig Connally on bass. I would replace Vernon Hartman on drums upon his leaving of the group.

The band was named Liberation Suite and as of that time, we were not yet Christians. Churched, but not Christ-following believers. We still kept Rock Reconstruction going on the side in addition to our work with "Sound 70."

As members of the Baptist ensemble, Rock Reconstruction was awarded precious rehearsal space in the "R.A. Hut" which was a little building separate from the main church building. One day at a rehearsal, Paul Lyon and his brother Howard showed up at a rehearsal. There had been some talk about them joining the band which I was totally against, since I despised brass instruments. I considered those instruments to be about as far from rock and roll as they could possibly be.

I don't remember voting on it, but Paul and Howard joined the band and we officially became "Liberation Suite," and an entity apart from Sound 70. It took a little while, but I eventually fell in love with the brass section.

2 comments:

simeonburke said...

My father introduced me to the music of Liberation Suite, and these past few months God has really been using it. He recalls now and again how he invited LibSuite to come and play at his school, The Belfast Model, to which they obliged. I haven't heard Christian rock anything like LibSuite in my young life, and do believe it is a taste of heaven.
God bless you all!

diakoneo said...

Randy,

Greg from Psalm 150 just left a comment on my blog with a link to their site. Thought you might want to say Hi.

Randy (aka diakoneo)

http://theancientstar-song.blogspot.com/